Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Save Our Show!

Since turning in my 50 pages last week, I have tried to nurse my tired mind back to full-strength with a gentle regimen of comfort food, non-taxing conversation, and lots and lots of pop culture. Unfortunately, not having cable really throws a wrench in the watch-tons-of-mindless-tv-while-eating-assorted chocolates plan, which has always been a standby for me. To cope, I upgraded my Netflix membership to the 3-at-a-time option and burn through each movie as it arrives, including every scrap and snippet of DVD extra. (Who watches the "Deleted Scenes" of Freaky Friday? I do.)

After those are used up, I have no recourse but to open the dusty video drawer and peer inside. Another viewing of Princess Bride on scratchy VHS? The umpteenth watching of When Harry Met Sally with director's commentary? My wedding video? My other wedding video? I start getting a little desperate. Making it worse is the knowledge that everyone else is at home enjoying their OC, their Alias, their 24, and those sixteen nightly episodes of Friends on the WB, not to mention they don't have to listen to the Sox game on the radio.

But then I remember my trump card. Arrested Development, the entire first season box set. Each episode is a clever, hilarious little package streamlined sans commercial to a slick 21 minutes, perfect lunch time viewing length. It is also the only show that I can watch an indefinite number of times and find myself laughing out loud every single time. This box set has saved me.

And that is why I need to do my small part to save it. Rumblings of the show's possible cancellation (in real TV land, the show just finished its second season) were intensified when the network cut their original order of episodes for Season Two, bumping the last four shows for repeats of American Piehole or something similar. We were on tenterhooks all along since said network is FOX, the crappiest network in the history of television that nonetheless manages to greenlight great shows and then promptly fails to market them. (Anyone ever heard of Firefly? I didn't think so.)

This show wins lots of Emmys for best comedy and best writing and best whatever, but no one's watching it. Yet "C-List Celebrity Loser Diet Challenge" pulls in viewers. Arrested Development also gives you guest stars like Liza Minnelli (finally finding a venue for her wackiness), Heather Graham, "Elaine" from Seinfeld, and the "Fonz."

So it's geeky, but it must be done. Go to the official website, swallow your pride, and sign the, ahem, loyalty oath. It will give you a coupon for the Season One DVD, if that helps at all. For the next level of commitment, go to the incredibly nerdy but endearing SaveOurBluths website and do what they say.

Now, if you've never watched the show, I don't expect you to jump on the campaign bandwagon, but if that's true, now is the time to start watching because you are missing out. It's funny. Trust me. Repeats of Season Two will air this summer on dastardly FOX. Buy the Season One DVD. You won't be sorry. Okay, I'll stop now. My work here is done.

10 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couple of questions:

1.How many weddings did you have? And which one did I attend? (My wedding video? My other wedding video?)
2. I know you don’t have cable but don’t you get local channels (2-4-7-11)? Why do you need to listen to the Red Sox games – is NESN not a local channel?
3. Did you really watch the deleted scenes from Freaky Friday?

thanks JQ

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger scs said...

Excellent questions JQ.

1. Technically, two weddings. The real one in Santa Barbara that you attended, and then a "big fat Greek type wedding" 9 months later in Worcester, Massachusetts in the Orthodox Church.

2. I should clarify. We don't have cable AT ALL. No channels: zip, zero, nada. Gray fuzz on the screen. You understand my desperation now.

3. Yes. (see answer #2 for my justification of this pathetic action)

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick response! JQ

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger joyandpain said...

I already own Season 1 and am also a huge fan (even an official fan to show my support). I haven't watched any of Season 2 because I don't think I could stand to wait a week between shows - I'm waiting for the DVD.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger scs said...

That's fantastic news! I can't believe I didn't know this about you, joyandpain. We were secret Arrested Development buddies and we didn't even know it.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

joyandpain – quick question for you. Do you really have the discipline not to watch Arrested Development during the season? I am a regular viewer of 24 on Fox and have heard of dedicated viewers not watching the show during the season and holding out until it’s released on DVD. This is amazing to me. This must say something about my lack of will power – my inability not to order the large coke at the movie theater because it’s only 25 cents more. Please explain – Thanks JQ

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger joyandpain said...

Well, JQ, I am also a dedicated viewer of 24 -- waiting for the DVD to come out. I don't think of it as an issue of will power for me - I lagged in getting on board in both cases (AD, 24) and I didn't want to start in the middle. I think seeing an episode out of order would lessen the joy!

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well joyandpain if it lessen the joy I think you are making a wise decision! The current season of 24 is FANTASTIC and I am sure you will enjoy it! What is the turn-around time from tv season to DVD? I would imagine they can produce the dvds quickly. I must also say that I would HIGHLY recommend tivo. It changes your life. It is efficacy at its finest. I would have recommended it to SCS but with no cable and only gray fuzz – she has no chance of TV enjoyment. Thanks! JQ

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger huntsmanic said...

i don't mean to interrupt the conversation-via-comment, but i need to just briefly call out: sully is ridiculous. but in the most vitally unimportant kind of way; without her, to whom would i turn for arduous musings on the very things that occupy such a questionable amount of my time?

it is nice to have backup.

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger scs said...

I have decided to take this as a compliment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home