Thursday, January 19, 2006

So Long, Farewell

The title of this post obviously means two things: 1) I am indeed ending my blog and 2) I have been watching too much Sound of Music since I got the 40th Anniversary Edition DVD for Christmas. It was my best Christmas gift. (I would say people know me really well but the truth is I just asked for it.) You must admit: that Auf Wiedersehn song is some powerful stuff. My favorite part is when the kids troop upstairs singing it and the camera turns to the crowd below while the waving adults sing the final "goodnight." That is super nice. I am totally devoid of cynicism or irony when it comes to The Sound of Music.

I suppose this ending comes as no surprise, since most of the month has passed without me putting up a post. I just had to make absolutely sure I could say goodbye to all the fun I have had with this blog before putting it to bed forever, and that I could properly say goodbye to you, my loyal blog readers. With characteristic reluctance to display emotion and weakness at this sad moment, I am going to repress my feelings with the use of lists to say farewell.

First, here is a list of reasons I decided I do indeed have to stop:

1. I need to finish my dissertation. No, I really do. It's a tedious enough task as it is without the tempting possibility of writing about the Red Sox, my favorite t.v. shows, and how many people removed I am from Christina Aguilera every time I sit down at my computer instead of what I should be writing about: diaspora, ekphrasis, and hybridity (no I am not making these words up, sadly).

2. Well, that's really the main reason.

Next, to comfort you in my blog's absence, I have put together a list of things you can do to help you through this time of loss:

1. Go back and read all the posts you missed, leaving inappropriate comments on them that you think I will never find. (I assure you, I will.)

2. Research reverse osmosis water filters on the internet. This will take you 3 to 4 hours, minimum. Seriously, stop drinking fluoride.

3. Get your own blog. It couldn't be easier. Look right up there on the top right-hand corner of this page, there it is: "Get Your Own Blog." Do it: I'll read it religiously.

4. Email me, the way normal people communicate. I will attempt to write interesting and witty replies that include updates on my organic lifestyle (this week: cleaning the house with nothing but vinegar and baking soda) and any further research I complete on 9/11 conspiracy theories.

5. Consider possible titles for my next blog, when I am bold and employed enough to begin again (say, 2009?). Possible titles I have already thought of include: a) Capitol Beat: My Life as a Hugely Successful Political Operative b) Organic Baby [alternate title "How my Experiment with Natural Family Planning went bad but I am making the best of it"] or c) Ten Years and Counting: Getting a PhD in Irish Literature Blows

And, finally, since this is the last time I will have your collectively undivided attention, I want to give you a list of things I have enjoyed most about keeping this blog over the course of 2005:

1. Reading or hearing something crazy or interesting and thinking: oooh! I have to blog about that. At any one point over the year, I have had a little post-it on my desk scrawled with future topics such as: Big truck/baby truck, Fox News, juice fasts, racist maps, Ann Coulter/crazy, Nutter Butters, Boycott Monsanto, Fung-Wah deathtrap, homemade bomb-making, sci-fi as highest form of art, childhood obesity, Britney & Kevin, etc. (As you can see, not all of these topics went to press--I'll save the material for my next blog.) I am going to miss keeping that little post-it.

2. Being completely surprised by which of you turned out to be my most loyal blog readers. Really: not the people I would expect. JQ gets a special mention here. (The funny thing is I almost didn't send him the URL because I thought this blog's liberal leanings would fill him with Orange County-style feelings of loathing and enmity. Glad it didn't work out that way.) My unrequited high school love interest Jonny H warrants mention at the top of the list of "People Least Likely to Ever Find this Blog who Nonetheless Did." His last-ditch effort to halt cancellation of the blog was especially touching, even though I thought it was a conspiracy master-minded by JQ. And of course, Mark Huntsman deserves credit as the original inspiration to start this blog in the first place. I would acknowledge more people but this is already getting out of hand.

3. You guys have been great readers. I am really going to miss your funny comments, either on the blog or via email, your needling me about being lazy when I didn't write for a while, and knowing I had an audience that would indulge my rants on any subject I found fit to blather about. Seriously, that has been so great. Look at that I'm getting all mushy. Damn lists not doing their job.

So, one year to the day that I started this grand experiment, perhaps you will allow me one final Sound of Music reference. In this metaphor, I get to be Liesel, Brigita and all those other cute Austrian kids leaving the party, and you all are those fancy-dressed adults who end the song. Don't be bitter or sad, just wave me a nice goodbye.

16 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a hug.

Goodbye Frauline!

Jameson

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger huntsmanic said...

in keeping with the order of things: if sully will start and end with a metaphor, i will start and end with a quote, and i shall be equally mushy, a la Capt von Trapp: "you have brought music back in to my life. i had forgotten." for, while you may give me props for inspiring you, or whatever, the fact is that my little guy was all of 2 wks old, and suddenly i had a compatriot, a loyalist -- an insightful voice and a reliable ear. your presence here bestowed a certain latitude, and i'll miss it for huge. but i shall not mope, for, as the effevescent maria doth say, "where the lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window."

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger huntsmanic said...

dude we commented at the same time. let's talk soon. i'd like that very much.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger scs said...

I know! We must have been cosmically linked for a second. I liked your last post. I also like (okay: love) the shocking depth of your Sound of Music verbal recall. All the best quotes really. Impressive.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger scs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger huntsmanic said...

thanks, yo. love and all that.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger benji said...

au revoir pee-wee! au revoir! nice work sullivan, you'll be missed. thanks for the blog and the inspiration. now all mark has to do is say that i was his inspiration and the circle will be complete! good luck with the dissertation, geez weren't you working on that when i lived in allston?

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger scs said...

haha benj, not quite. Back then what I was working on was getting drunk every weekend and not going to class. I'm reformed now and serious. ;)

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does that mean i got caught for sending inappropriate comments on past entries? cock sucker mother fucker!!!
i'm so sad you're no longer saying things out loud... on your blog that is. oh, and i will be there saturday for your performance at the amateur ribbon dance festival in cambridge. luv ya!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger scs said...

Is that you, Lesley?! It was the c-s-m-f combo that gave you away--it's like your calling card. :) s

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who? you wish. it was great to see you today. your choice of hot pink and lime green for your leotard and ribbons really made your dance stand out. summer olympics 2008 all the way!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger joyandpain said...

This was such a sweet post!

I'm ashamed to admit I dropped off as a loyal reader somewhere along the year. I know I've missed out and now I'm sad to see it end. But it is for a good cause. Good luck.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sullivan--

I can hardly wait for you to find the middle road, to find something you really care about working on, and that allows you to write for an audience. You are brilliant.

See you in five.

Me

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Toddy said...

This is going to sound bad, but I am totally ok with that, if you know me, you know I am totally ok with sounding like a jerk, but I never thought I would be interested in what another Westmont alumn had to say. Ok, maybe I am overshooting the mark there for the sake of hyperbole, but damn if I am not dissapointed about you shutting this thing down.
I read more often than I post and I have always enjoyed the humor.

I will miss this blog like the dessert misses the splame.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry that you will be ending your blog. It's not often that I find bloggers who I could find interesting enough to read each day.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. In answer to your question, I believe that liquid detergent refers to liquid dishwashing soap.

PS - The Sound of Music is wonderful!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger kelvin freely said...

unrelated but relevant is this idea of time travel which commented on in my blog. it's nice to get comments and clearly you get a lot.

Myt question to you is this: Do you remember an old TV show that was called something like Time travelers. It featured a youngish boy and his older brother. The younger boy wore a red and white stripped shirt in every episode. THey had a little pocket clock that was their instrument for time travel. and in every episode they'd land in a heart of an important historic moment. The only episode I can recall is when they visit Thomas Edison as he's working on the lightbulb. Can you help me recall this series from 1980s TV.

thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home